Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quality of Life (QoL) Suggestions
(02-11-2019, 10:10 PM)Onionbreath Wrote: Alright I got a recommendation that’s gonna set off half the older player base:

Get rid of simultaneous alt play all-together.  Make it so players can only use one  account active on an IP at any given time.

Not all of us out there care to, or have the capability to run duel clients.  Those that do are pretty much immune to solo pvp as they’ve two gun platforms to fall back on at all times. It’s ridiculous. If you want protection or extra guns, that’s what parties and guilds are for.  Interact and get a friend instead of using your multi as a crutch.

It doesn't really solve the issue, and attempts at this have been made before in previous clones. It's not that you cannot curtail multiple clients, it's just that you can't prevent players from working around whatever system you implement for that. It becomes a major headache as more tech savvy players are still able to have access to multiple clients, and these same players tend to be the more skilled, experienced Diaspora players so that made it even more glaring when it did become an issue in the past. The better solution is to allow all players to operate as many clients as they want, especially since that likely translates to players spending more money on PDC (thus, more resources for development of the game).

Besides, I'm not really sure if players who run multiple accounts are 'immune to solo pvp.' They still have to operate two clients, while maintaining situational awareness for both. Players who have done this for awhile will be the first to tell you that some very funny things can happen when you have one player controlling numerous accounts, particularly when said player loses situational awareness. 

Multiple accounts does give you an advantage, sure - but it's not really something you can stop to begin with.

EDIT - As for my wishlist, I would like to see a repair button on the main planet screen. No more going to the hangar for that.
Weltschmerz Wrote:It doesn't really solve the issue, and attempts at this have been made before in previous clones. It's not that you cannot curtail multiple clients, it's just that you can't prevent players from working around whatever system you implement for that. It becomes a major headache as more tech savvy players are still able to have access to multiple clients, and these same players tend to be the more skilled, experienced Diaspora players so that made it even more glaring when it did become an issue in the past. The better solution is to allow all players to operate as many clients as they want, especially since that likely translates to players spending more money on PDC (thus, more resources for development of the game).

I'm not talking about banning alts or multiple accounts in general.  That is a losing battle on any MMO always.  

I'm talking about stopping all play of two or more clients from the same external IP, at the same time.   And I know of no way you can have two or more clients running on the same computer at the same time and them not share the same external IP.  So that should be fairly easy to set up a policy against.  Server detects two clients logged in on the same external IP, both get logged out immediately with player prompted to use only one.  

Now, if you have two computers and two routers, you can have each computer running a client on a different external, but that takes a lot of investment and most players will not be able to pull that off.  

Quote:Besides, I'm not really sure if players who run multiple accounts are 'immune to solo pvp.'

Baring a mistake, they are in all practicality.  Two platforms of guns firing are always an advantage against one.  

Quote:They still have to operate two clients, while maintaining situational awareness for both. Players who have done this for awhile will be the first to tell you that some very funny things can happen when you have one player controlling numerous accounts, particularly when said player loses situational awareness.

What you're basically saying is, "golly geez it can be challenging paying attention to two windows at the same time.  Maybe they'll make a mistake."

Brilliant.  Game and combat balance should totally hinge on that.  I'm not saying mistakes don't happen or that running two or more clients at the same time can't make it difficult to keep aware of everything, but to bank on that and throw that up as some kind of balancing factor is frankly absurd.  

Not to mention, this game is pretty simple when it comes to moving and combat.  You click on node, you go to node.  You see enemy, you double-click enemy.  Now you're shooting enemy.  Do that in the other client in the next window, and now you have two ships shooting at one enemy.  Wew, man, so complicated.  

Forgive my sarcasm, but this game isn't exactly rocket science.  You're double-clicking to attack, not carefully managing the cooldowns of multiple abilities or calculating angular velocity across multiple clients.  

Quote:Multiple accounts does give you an advantage, sure - but it's not really something you can stop to begin with.

Hell, admins have already instituted that playing more than 2 alts at the same time is illegal, and they issue penalties for it.  Obviously, they disagree with your assertion; and would you look at that, i don't see too many people these days playing 4 ships at once, or at least, they're not doing it obviously.  All I'm asking is take that a step forward and limit it to one account per IP.  

You can't stop multiple accounts, nor necessarily should you.  But one player acting as his own army or two-man buddy team is nonsensical and should be fairly easy to curtail.

Quote:EDIT - As for my wishlist, I would like to see a repair button on the main planet screen. No more going to the hangar for that.

So basically, a player that orbits a planet could just click repair like mad if they get shot at, fire at anyone around them, and casually charge their jump drive to full the entire while, with complete impunity, as long as they've the credits to spend on any repairs in the process. Wonderful.  That doesn't sound ridiculously exploitable at all.  

Not like it wouldn't make a satellite defender a completely immune, constantly firing gun platform while attackers have no choice but to leave planet for repairs.  

Not like someone could even go to Gen with a bunch of money and just camp a planet, keep newbies locked in their hangars for long periods of time, and shoot anything that undocks and tries to leave, all while repairing the entire time without fear of the defenders because screw the defenders-- I got money to blow, and I repair to full in space.  Your measly little day 1, rank 1 pool of credits can't match my repair fund, bucko.  You just sit in that hangar with your little Zephyr carrier.  No space ship game for you.  Enjoy your Diaspora experience.  

I mean, I'm Dutch.  I'm the guy who kills newbies all the time because it's funny, and even I  think that's brutal.
I never suggested the ability to repair while floating in space, only a button for repair on the main planet screen so you don't have to go to the hangar for that purpose. You would still have to land. In a point a click game, my opinion is that you should reduce clicks where you can in the interface.

Besides, there will be consumable items that allow players to heal in space anyway, so..
The ability to repair inspace we are still ironing out the details for sure won't be instant repair.